Sunday, August 4, 2013

Friends...How Many of Us Have Them?

A friend loves at all times, but a brother was born for adversity.
Proverbs 17:17

My sister has been there for me through thick and thin. She is not in my life for just a season, but for eternity. Although I didn't choose her to be my sister, I wouldn't make a different choice if I could. However, I have been able to choose my friends. I have never been the type of person to have several friends. I also believe there is a huge difference between friends and acquaintances. Now several acquaintances I have, but I could count my true friends on one hand.

This experience has taught me what it means to be a friend (now I need two hands to count them all). It has shown me who my friends are and who I can depend on in time of need. This experience has also shown me what baggage I can leave behind. I have learned so much about myself and how I can deepen my relationship with my friends.

There is a quote that says, "In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."(John Churton Collins).

As a result of my battle with cancer, I have crossed paths and re-connected with so many people. Some from elementary school, middle school, high school, college, my sorority and former jobs. Cancer is not a battle I can fight alone. Opening up and sharing this experience has brought about amazing people that encourage and support me along this path, each and every day (yes, I'm talking about you). I am humbled by the support and sometimes can't believe how people step up and show out.

To all I say thank you. I realize that life goes on for everyone. By you taking the time to send a text message, make an fb post, call, schedule a lunch date or visit with me in my home sends the message that you care and that we are in this together. I am most appreciative.

We are winning this fight. Two more rounds to go and I can envision that this fight will end with a knock out punch!

No comments:

Post a Comment