Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Day After

Yesterday...
I woke up at 6:30am, 3 hours before it was time to leave for treatment #9. I took my time getting dressed. I spent some time with God. I felt inspired after spending this time and decided to wear blue for those having dealt with, dealing with, and will deal with colorectal cancer. I felt so good walking into the infusion room. I am winning this fight!!!

I weighed in. I am now 101 pounds. My doctor wants me to get to 110 pounds by the end of treatment. I think I can do that. My appetite is great. All day long, all I do is eat and think about what I'm going to eat next. Poor Mike (he's the cook in the house).

As I found my seat of choice, said good morning to those already there (my parents raised me with manners), and prepared myself for my treatment, my nurse informed me that I would no longer receive the calcium and magnesium medicines. Research has shown that these medicines, when used during chemotherapy treatment, were not effective. Great!!! My treatments would now be three hours instead of four. 

Then the saline and steroid infusion began. No problem. Next, Oxaliplatin and Leucovorin started. It takes no time for these chemotherapy drugs to wreck havoc on my body. I began to feel nauseous within 30 minutes from beginning the infusion. I ate my breakfast, chatted with Mike and the other patients in the room for a short while, watched Serena's tennis match from the previous night, got my pump of Fluorouracil and then I was on my way. As usual, when I got home I took my nausea medicine, got a bite to eat and then slept until the next day.

The next day...
I'm feeling better today. Not 100%, just better. I carry my pump around everywhere I go. I look at the pump conflicted because of the poisons going in my system, but yet it's supposed to cure me. If that's not an oxymoron! But still I have faith that God led me to these doctors to save my life and continue His purpose.

My oncologist informed me on my last visit that the neuropathy would get worse. I think he is right. My fingertips are more sensitive and now I am beginning to feel it in my feet. Prayer warriors, I need you. Let's bind this feeling of neuropathy. Although it may be a side effect of the chemotherapy drugs, it doesn't have to be a side effect that I experience. Thank you in advance for your prayers.

I think I am going to call it an early night and get some rest. I feel a cold coming on and "ain't nobody got time for that."

No comments:

Post a Comment